The Crailsheim family owns the castle since 1550. Wolf von Crailsheim brought the Protestant reformation to Sommersdorf in 1551, and his son Ernst enlarged the family holdings by purchases and grants.
During the Thirty Years War (1618-48) between the Catholics and the Protestants, Sommersdorf suffered a great deal. Houses in the village were plundered and burned, the fields lay fallow and the population was severely decimated by war and plague. But the castle itself survived.
In mid-19th century, the top floor of the Old Castle was pulled down due to dilapidation, the draw-bridge was replaced by a permanent bridge, and he castle was generally restored. Since the beginning of the 20th century, Schloss Sommersdorf has been continuously inhabited by the von Crailsheim family.